Open a Door to an Amazing Opportunity
Come be our Gardening Intern!
We are looking for college students, recent graduates, or any other hearty souls interested in spending the summer (approximately May 15 - August 15; dates are flexible) living and working at Song of the Morning Yoga Retreat to help facilitate our organic vegetable garden. Veggies and fruits from this garden help serve delicious, balanced, vegetarian meals during the harvest months. Two meals are served Tuesday through Saturday and one meal on Sunday. Individual’s receiving these meals are guests on personal retreat, guests attending a public/private workshop, as well as staff and community members. In our efforts towards sustainability, we would like to glean as much bounty from our garden as possible, including foods to be frozen and canned. Anyone interested in deepening his or her experience working as a team in a vibrant, spiritually driven environment is most welcome to apply!
Tasks that an intern might be asked to perform include:
- Gaining awareness of the plants that are established, like germination, harvest time, commonly infected diseases or ways to prevent disease, insect control techniques, soil amendment, trellising
- Depending on start date also assisting with crop planning, seed starting, transplanting, soil preparation
- Continued supervision of the growth of veggies and fruits planted in hoop house as well varying plots
- Hands-on work, such as watering, weeding, mulching, mowing, composting, harvesting crops
- Managing schedule of staff and volunteers when work in the garden needs to be done (weeding, turning compost, watering, harvesting)
- Assisting in the upkeep of flower plots throughout the property
- Maintaining gardening tools and gardening out buildings
- Delivering a steady stream of fresh picked organic veggies to the Song of the Morning kitchen
- Other daily needs at Song of the Morning Ranch (ex: food prep, housekeeping, grounds keeping, special event support, cleaning)
- Some basic knowledge of vegetable gardening, or eager to be a quick study, self-driven student of organic vegetable gardening
- A commitment to serve two to three (2-3) consecutive months
- Knowing this is a physically demanding job where you will be outside daily, working in soil, sun or rain, working with compost and alongside insects
- An open heart and open mind: by coming to live at Song of the Morning and joining the team for the summer, accepted interns agree to join an intentional community committed to living a yogic lifestyle
Finally, a couple thoughts on community living and Yoga immersion...
Community Living: Living in community can be challenging, but is also a deeply rewarding lifestyle which has the power to transform your life in ways you could never have imagined. It means inhabiting an intimate and respectful shared space with others, and further means that you will have responsibilities (such as meal prep, grounds keeping, helping with special events and cleaning) beyond those tasks pertaining to your gardening position. This can look different on any given day depending on your skills and interests. Together, we will work to maximize professional, spiritual and communal benefit for everyone at Song of the Morning.
Yoga Immersion - The Gardener Internship falls under a larger program at Song of the Morning which invites aspiring yogis to immerse in a structured sadhana discipline which includes hatha yoga, daily meditation, and selfless service. It is a wonderful opportunity to serve, grow, and to deepen an understanding of yourself and your spiritual purpose. It is also beautiful here.
This internship is not paid, but in exchange for 34 hours of service a week, participants receive free lodging (including excellent vegetarian meals).
Please fill our application below and as a final step send your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org